Egypt, represented in NTRA, participated in the online virtual proceedings of ICANN68 Policy Forum in the period from 22 to 25 June 2020 organized by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers (ICANN).
This is the second regular meeting to be held virtually due to COVID-19 pandemic and its consequent circumstances of confinement and restricted health measures adopted worldwide. Since ICANN68 was scheduled to be hosted by Malaysia, all the sessions were held online following Kuala Lumpur local time, out of courtesy.
The Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) of ICANN convened under the chairmanship of Eng. Manal Ismail - Chief Expert Internet Policies of NTRA, Egypt, who presides the GAC since 2017, as elected chairwoman.
NTRA partook in ICANN68 online proceedings, through the various meetings of ICANN constituencies and committees:
- GAC meetings, via the official representation of the Government of Egypt in ICANN GAC;
- Meetings of the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), which represents the global community for individual Internet users participating in ICANN policy development, via its DNS Entrepreneurship Center;
- Meetings of the Universal Acceptance Steering Group (USAG) and meetings of the Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), via it’s IDN ccTLD (dotMasr) Registry..
Among the most important topics that were discussed during ICANN68 are:
- DNS Abuse & Malicious Registration during COVID-19;
- DNS Abuse Mitigation;
- DNS and IoT;
- Data Protection Policies;
- Country-Code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs) and new Generic Top Level Domains (new gTLDs) procedures.